Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Rebel Phase Series Pt. II: THE UNIFORM


Welcome to Part Two of the Rebel Phase Series (if you missed part one it was brief and ignominious but check it out)!  Now, onto Part Two.  


Oh, I should probably warn you that I am currently in the midst of what I have been casually calling a quarter-life crisis, but for fluidity we'll just refer to this as my personal Rebel Phase Pt. II. This is not like the devaluing phase of 2010 but rather I feel as if I've joined a league of rebellious women…or at least am on the wait list for said league.  


Who are we?  We are notorious for flaunting around various cities casually saying things like, "dope", "swag" and "YOLO" all the while brushing off judgement with quips like "we don care, we don care", "bishplease" and/or a slew of key premeditated rap lyrics that help us feel like a "G" for being able to say things like "that sh*t cray" when the moment presents itself...or when it starts raining.  The latter of which should not be blamed on "that sh*t" when in actuality it's Mother Nature who is, in fact, cray.  But (as usual) I digress. The point of this post is to breakdown how we rebellious women uniform ourselves with 3 simple steps because, lets face it, we're just too busy "being dope", "swaggin", and "YOLO-ing" to spend more than, like, an hour on our appearance….


STEP 1: Any t-shirt and/or sweatshirt that defines a moment in history that you were not really keyed into until it had long ended.  For example, I was 8 years old when Biggie died and I'm pretty sure I didn't understand that calling someone "Big Poppa" did not have paternal references until I was 16 (probably even later than that, to be honest).  Other examples include: Tupac, Bob Marley, anyone at Woodstock, those who frequented Studio 54….you get the point.

STEP 2: Leather.  Enough said. 

STEP 3:  If you live in Chicago…oh, sorry "chi city", a jacket.  Because as rebellious as you may think it is to not wear one, you show me a rebel functioning in 10 degrees without a jacket and I'll show you someone who is about to get the flu. 


(Urban Outfitters sweatshirt, Beulah shirt, Parker vegan leather skirt, Born Crown boots, Prada bag, vintage gloves)

You know, I'm really starting to like this series.  What Rebel Series editions do you want to see???

No comments:

Post a Comment