Monday, January 21, 2013

HOW TO: STAY BEAUTIFUL THIS WINTER



There are certain harsh realities we choose to forget as we progress through the various chapters of our lives: braces...the period before my mom would allow me to use a straightener...Birkenstocks.  While we actively select most of these memories to push deep into the attics of our minds, some memories manage to sneak into these dusty boxes without our knowledge.  In my case, the memory of winter in Chicago managed to hide itself so well that I voluntarily made the decision to leave my warm home in Los Angeles and move back to Chicago in the dead of winter ("I just want to have seasons so that I appreciate the warm weather", says the girl who had clearly lost touch with reality).  

In an attempt to reeducate myself on how to function in this season, I did some research on how to protect oneself against (in my opinion) the worst part of winter.  It makes hair flat.  It  makes noses bleed.  And it causes innocent, unsuspecting people to shock themselves every time they have the audacity to switch on a light.  The culprit of all this and more? Dry air (or low humidity, according to Discovery Health).  Here are 6 natural remedies to bring moisture back into your life.  


1. Cucumbers. Cucumbers are a natural remedy for chapped lips!  Next time you have an at-home spa day put some thin slices on your eyes and lips for 10 minutes. 

2. Aloe vera. There are different types of aloe vera oils and soaps you can buy at drugstores like Walgreens.  Shower with aloe vera soap or apply aloe vera oil directly after showering for supple, shock-resistant skin. 

3. Vitamin E oil.  Just like aloe vera oil, you can apply vitamin E oil onto the skin after showering.  

4 & 5. Olive oil and Flaxseed oil. Studies suggest that ingesting 1 tablespoon of olive oil or flaxseed oil daily will keep skin looking soft and healthy. 

6. Coconut oil. This is my saving grace for all seasons. Not only is it a better cooking alternative to olive oil (it can withstand more heat than olive oil which turns rancid and oxidizes when heated) it also serves as a daily moisturizer and a deep conditioner for hair.  I use coconut oil as a nighttime moisturizer.  I also coat my hair with coconut oil once a week (leave it on overnight then wash it out with your regular shampoo/conditioner and style).  



Do you have any tips to beat this weather  Let me know! Stay warm x x



No comments:

Post a Comment